First of all, our neighbours have started decorating their house even before Thanksgiving. They must have put around $1300 to $1500 in decorations on their lawn, and it shows (though not very well in the picture). Let's just say you wouldn't see that in a typical German neighbourhood.
Then, when I was out shopping, Santa addressed us and asked if Michael wants to have his picture taken with him. Since this custom has been to me something only seen in movies so far, I was caught by surprise and almost said "no". But Michael did get to sit on Santa's lap which apparently stroke him as very curious, but did not make him cry.
And that's not all. Guess who played Baby Jesus this Sunday? Yes, Michael. Of course Baby Jesus needed his mother by his side, and so guess who played Mary. Yupp. That's me. Although predestined to play Joseph, Joe opted out and preferred the background role as the Holy Spirit.
Actually, the whole thing had a few comical sides to it. First of all, it turned out that the play was part of the protestant service, not CCD as I had thought. A Catholic Mary and Baby Jesus in a protestant service. How fitting!
Second, Joe and I were sitting in the last pew during the service, trying to look inconspicious, which is not easy wearing a Mary costume. Then Baby Jesus got hungry a few minutes into the service. No problem I thought, the costume is perfect for hiding him and so I started nursing him when suddenly everybody got up and started introducing themselves. Especially to us, the new faces. I don't know if the real Mary had to shake hands while Baby Jesus was nursing away under her dress, but I did. A lot of hands.
Michael was of course the best Baby Jesus you could imagine. When it was time for the play, he first slept in heavenly peace, and then later woke up and smiled gracefully. And my goodness, is the boy popular. No matter where we go, Joe and I can't count the times that people touch him (the germs!!) or ask us if they could hold him. Must be the blue eyes...
We will post the second part about Michael's first Christmas when we are back from our trip. Will his little cousin be born when we arrive in Indy? Will Michael get to experience a white Christmas? Stay tuned and find out...
No comments:
Post a Comment